Gene Millen Bio
Author Gene Millen 5/11/15
A twenty-four year journey to Heart Health Coach
Gene Millen's road to fitness and wellness has not been an easy one. Some of the most valuable information he has learned has been in the "school of hard knocks."
Gene started in the banking business right out of high school. In 1973 he graduated with honors from the Pacific Coast School of Banking and in 1977 was chosen to be the founding president of County Bank of Merced where he presided as CEO for 15 years.
Under his management, the bank grew from zero to 500+ shareholders, $100 million in assets, and 100 employees. The bank was designated a Premier Performing bank during his tenure.
In 1990, an unexpected “near heart attack” required open heart surgery
to insert a
of arteries in his
chest. This near tragedy moved health to the top of his priority list.
In 1992, he took early retirement from the stress of banking and pursued his new passion of improving people's health by showing them how to avoid the mistakes he had made.
With his wife Bernie Vital Life Center,
a health and wellness center for the people over age 40 was born.
The exercise, health, and wellness program they developed was judged number one in California for four consecutive years.
Following is a summary of his journey.
- 1949-1992 - Banking Business. Entered banking as a trainee after graduating from high school. In 1973 graduated from the Pacific Coast Banking School with honors and
organized the County Bank of Merced in 1977. Was president from 1977 to 1992.
- Sept. 1990 - 1992 "Near heart attack" experience followed by open heart surgery and 200 sessions in Cardiac Rehab Program.
- Feb. 1993 - Nov. 2004 - Started, owned and operated the Vital Life Health and Wellness Center, a health and wellness club designed for the 50+ population.
- Created and implemented wellness programs (including monitoring of heart rate, and blood pressure) for 1200 members during this eleven year period of
- Millen's health ands wellness program received national
recognition. It was judged number one in California four years in a row, and was judged 2nd in the U.S.A.
- 2002 - 2012 Developed and enhanced the Heart Health for Life website. This site has 200 pages and receives more than 3,000 visitors per month.
- From August 2006 to March 2012 - Fitness/Wellness Director for a Continuing Care Retirement Community in Central California. Developed and implemented physical wellness
programs for 200 residents.
I'm here to help, to be your advisor and
Heart Health Coach.
I want you avoid the pitfalls and false starts that I have made. And I've made plenty of them.
Take some time and browse through some to the articles on our website. I think you may be surprised what you find.
Pictured on the left is a 2012 photo of
Gene Millen and his wife and best friend Bernie, your hosts on this journey to a healthy heart and a vital long life.
Gene experienced a heart by pass surgery in 1990 which prompted a change in his career from bank president to heart health coach.
His credentials include several fitness and wellness certifications and starting and operating the Vital Life Center, a health and wellness club for the "over 50 crowd, which was judged # 1 in California and 2nd in the nation for the wellness programs he developed.
Be sure to sign up for our Free Vital Aging Newsletter!